Do you tweet? Now before you say “that’s just another social media platform for a bunch of teenagers and celebrities to talk about their life,” think again. Twitter is a social media platform with over 288 million monthly active users. With so many users we know that: a. they can’t all be celebrities and teenagers or the world as we know it is in a pile of trouble and b. the probability of potential clients, your competition, and customers using Twitter is high. This is a great reason why you should be utilizing Twitter marketing.
So how can you use Twitter to market your company and establish loyal followers? These tips will get you started.
Seven Tips to Twitter Marketing
- Follow. It may sound simple but following people is a great way to get started on Twitter. Where should you begin? Find local businesses to follow, search for keywords on Twitter to help you network with mutual brands, use customer lists to connect with customers on Twitter. Here’s a tip: keep your followers-to-following ratio to 1:3 it will help you avoid looking like spam.
- Monitor interactions. Yes, a bit of time is involved to establish your business on Twitter. Simply creating account does little to nothing, you need to interact with customers – humanize your brand. If a user comments or shares your tweet make sure you respond! Thank the person, interact with them, and don’t forget to retweet the post.
- Lists are a lifesaver. I am a huge list maker, in fact it drives my husband a little crazy, but in this case a Twitter list will quickly become your new best friend. On your home profile you will find a tab called “lists” if you scroll down past your tweets. How do lists help? Sorting through a Twitter feed can be overwhelming – it can take five minutes just to get through the last hour of posts. By adding customers and businesses you want to network with to a list it, it makes it easier to find them in the chaos of the Twitter feed. Don’t want people to know you are following their posts? Make the list private.
- Get people’s attention. Sure, that is easier said then done, but try these two tips. The Twitter feed can be daunting and your posts can quickly get lost. One way to avoid this is to use the @ function to tag a follower. Do you have a tweet that you think would be great for a local business? Tag them! Our other tip is to be sure you are using engaging tweets. Give people a reason to click – be humorous, be mysterious, include a call to action, these are all great ways to encourage engagement.
- Add Twitter username fields to forms. Do you want to take the work out of networking? Collect social media contact information from your customers and leads. A great way to do this is by adding a new field to the forms on your website.
- Tweet often. Sadly many Twitter business accounts sit dormant on a daily basis. The more you tweet the better, a great goal is 2-4 times a day.
- Have great customer service. Social media now plays a huge role in customer service. Customer’s know it’s to their advantage if an issue or question is made public. With this is mind, customer service is key. Monitor accounts daily and act quickly when responding to customers. If a customer or client is having a problem with your product or service, use the opportunity to win their life-long support.
As you can see, Twitter marketing doesn’t have to be difficult!